Welcome

Welcome to the HO Scale Conrail Blairsville Cutoff by Matthew Miller. This route is a alternate double track route over the Allegheny Mountains starting around Blairsville, Pa and goes clear to Cresson, Pa where it rejoins the 3 Track Mainline. Here you will see the preparation and building of the HO Scale Conrail Blairsville Cutoff. So come along this journey of mine as I plan, build, and have fun.

Thursday, September 3, 2026

MOW - CR #60306 - Part 1

 Conrail has had some very unique MOW Equipment throughout its history. Below is just one of those pieces. A former RDG Boxcar was converted over to MOW service and used at a Tool and Supply Car. The month and year it was converted over was 7 / 1977 according to reports. The journey has started on converting this former boxcar to a Tool and Supply Car. The car number that I had picked to model is #60306. I have done a ton of research on this car and others like it.



These cars could be found across the system. Boxcar #60306 will be based out of Cresson, Pa on the layout. Another Tool and Supply Car will be located at Blairsville, Pa. This among the other MOW equipment will work with specific work trains on the layout. This project is going to take some time as quite a few pieces do need to be scratch built. 


The start of this project was to cut one end of the car to make a doorway for the crew members to get in from on side if the side doors happened to not function.


Next I went and found the primer paint and put a couple coats of paint on it. I know a lot of the modeling community is against using spray paint but it is cheap and easy to do. I found that primer gray is a pretty close match to the gray used for some of the MOW equipment.

After the paint dried for 24 hours, it was time to add the Conrail decals to each end of the car. I used two Conrail Logo's from a decal sheet I ordered specifically for my MOW equipment.


The next step is to add numbers and letters to the side of the boxcar, glue the brake wheel back on and add Kadee Metal Couplers. Once completed, it will be added to the MOW Fleet and pictures will be taken of it with that equipment.

No comments:

Post a Comment