Welcome

Welcome to the HO Scale Conrail Blairsville Cutoff by Matthew Miller. This route is a alternate double track route over the Allegheny Mountains starting around Blairsville, Pa and goes clear to Cresson, Pa where it rejoins the 3 Track Mainline. Here you will see the preparation and building of the HO Scale Conrail Blairsville Cutoff. So come along this journey of mine as I plan, build, and have fun.

Monday, July 6, 2026

Conrail RS-3M - Part 2

Conrail RS-3M #9950 was originally Penn Central #9950. Conrail inherited this locomotive along with a bunch of others when they took control on April 1, 1976. 9950 had it's short hood removed during the PC era and had a front porch added. Even though this locomotive will not fit into the era I'm modeling, I wanted to build this locomotive as I thought it was a pretty cool looking locomotive. It will make an appearance when I do flash back days on the model railroad. Below are a few progress pictures of what I have done so far. There is still more to do on this locomotive. 

9950 had a short life on Conrail. By April 1984 this locomotive was retired and ultimately met the scrappers torch in the end as Conrail was cleaning out the oddball units on its roster to make way for newer and much more reliable power in the 1980's through the 1990's.


Numbers cut out and ready to be applied




Slowly getting the decals added onto the RS-3M

Work on this locomotive has been on and off over the past few months as other things have happened and most recently a major ankle surgery. But since I have more down time right now, I figured this was the best time to finish up this project.

More to come in the next couple of days.





No comments:

Post a Comment